- Light of Christ:
A registered Tiger or Wolf Cub Scout of Catholic Faith may earn this emblem. The Scout must complete the requirements before starting third grade.
- The purpose is to help the Cub develop a personal relationship with Jesus. With the parents' active assistance and participation in this program, it is hoped that the Cub will come to see Jesus as a real person and his friend.
- Parvuli Dei:
A Registered Bear or Webelos of Catholic faith that has completed the 2nd grade may earn this emblem. The purpose of the Parvuli Dei (Children of God) emblem is to help young boys explore a wide range of activities in order to discover the presence of God in their daily lives as members of their families and parishes, and also to develop a good, positive self-image through the contributions they can make to the group or community.
- Ad Altare Dei:
Eligibility: Before work on the workbook begins, the approval form must be signed by the applicant, parent, counselor, Unit leader, and pastor.
- A Boy Scout of Catholic faith.
- The content is designed for 13 and 14 year olds.
- Older Scouts may also work on the program.
- Active member of the Troop for six months.
- Completed sixth grade before starting the program.
- The purpose of the Ad Altare Dei (to the altar of God) program is to help Catholic Scouts of the Roman Rite develop a fully Christian way of life in the faith community. The program is organized in chapters based on the seven Sacraments. The seven Sacraments are a primary means toward spiritual growth.
- Pope Pius XII:
Eligibility: A registered youth member of the Boy Scouts of America of the Catholic faith.
- Has started ninth grade.
- Designed for age 15-16 year old, but all registered Venturers (male or female before their 21st birthday) and all registered Boy Scouts (in high school, before their 18th birthday) are eligible.
- Pope Pius XII is Catholic Scouting's church-related ministries and vocation program.
- The program deals with different life choices (single, married, religious, ordained), occupations and ministries in the church as calls from God.
- It includes youth led discussions on current issues facing the church and society, which are normally included as part of a Pius XII retreat or day of recollection.
- A member of an Eastern Catholic church
- A registered member of the Boy Scouts of America, active in your troop for at least six months, and completed sixth grade before beginning the program
- Designed for the 12-13 year old. Other Scouts, older or younger may use the program.
- This program is to be used as an alternate to the Ad Altare Dei program. It is not appropriate to work on both programs.
- Complete the program before your 18th birthday to receive the recognition. For Scouts who are mentally or physically handicapped, the program may be made more flexible.
- The "Light is Life" is a program developed by the National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS) for Boy Scouts of the Eastern Catholic churches. Light is Life respects the cultural and ritual differences among the various Eastern Catholic Churches.
- The overall goal of the Light is Life religious emblem program is to bring about in the Scout, through his Eastern Christian Scouting experience, a deeper awareness of his share in faith-life. Then going forth, he will witness this life through maturity in communal worship and in Christian formation of his world.
Please note that all Light of Christ and Parvuli Dei emblems can be ordered directly via this link: https://raldioc.configio.com/go/cubscouts
A board of review is not required. Once you have received the emblem, work out a time for the presentation with your pastor or pastoral administrator.
All Boy Scout applications (Ad Altare Dei and Pope Pius XII) are first processed through the RCCOS due to the fact that a board of review is required. Contact Mr. Mike Nemecek , Mike.Nemecek@sas.com, 919-280-9786, for information about AAD and Pope Pius XII boards of review.