Bearing in mind our nation's challenges and the particularly urgent need for wise, moral, civic leadership in addressing them, the USCCB's Call to Prayer will be adapted beginning Friday, September 16, 2016 to focus for nine weeks on the upcoming elections.
In addition to the current invitation to fast on Fridays, participants will be encouraged to pray one Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be for the week's intention and for our civic leaders and upcoming elections.
Sign up with the USCCB, to receive reminders and join in a novena of prayer for our nation.
Prayer Intentions: September 9 - November 11, 2016
- Friday, September 9: On this National Day of Prayer we pray for peace in our communities.
- Friday, September 16: As we prepare for the national & local elections, may our political engagement be guided by our Catholic Faith.
- Friday, September 23: May all people understand the moral and ethical dimensions of political decisions and decide accordingly.
- Friday, September 30: May all Americans recall the necessity of dialogue, civility, and humility in this election season.
- Friday, October 7: Through Our Lady of the Rosary's aid, may voters & elected leaders uphold the dignity of human life in their political engagement.
- Friday, October 14: May Catholics recall all aspects of Catholic Social Teaching as they consider their votes.
- Friday, October 21: May there be a transformation of politics to focus on the dignity of the human person and the common good.
- Friday, October 28: May we keep in mind the gift of religious freedom and our duty to defend and exercise it as faithful citizens.
- Friday, November 4: As we approach the polls, may we understand & embrace the principles of our Faith that should guide our political engagement.
- Tuesday, November 8: (Election Day): Today we pray for a peaceful, just, and grace-filled election.
- Friday, November 11: May the leaders elected this week be guided by the Holy Spirit as they fulfill their positions.