Hours per week: 40
Key responsibilities / day-to-day job functions
- Integrate Gospel values and attitudes that guide students in their acquisition of concepts, and themes consistent with our parish school’s Catholic identity and Catholic school teachings.
- Effectively implement a grade-level appropriate Catholic Religion curriculum, while purposefully enhancing critical thinking skills and providing learners the opportunity to explore Diocese of Raleigh Religion standards and objectives.
- Demonstrate mastery of subject-area content and design rigorous instructional plans that include higher order thinking skills and opportunities for learners to evaluate and apply knowledge to diverse situations, including a student’s faith journey.
- Reinforce the Catholic Identity goal from the school’s Strategic Action Plan: To strengthen and enhance the Catholic identity rooted in the Gospels, centered on the Eucharist, and committed to intentional discipleship and a holistic, Catholic worldview.
- Deliberately connect Catholic teachings with other subject areas and standards, including literature choices, the arts, lectures, and programs to form a Christian imagination and foster a Catholic worldview.
- Teach students through Religion class how to pray, meditate, & reflect, whether they’re at Mass, Adoration, with their peers and family, or by themselves.
- Develop and implement hands-on learning experiences using research-based instruction and assessments to assess content and skills, including the use of student data to inform instruction.
- Incorporate the seamless integration of technology and naturally infuse 21st Century skills in Religion lessons that support the school’s instructional program and goals.
- Exhibit a strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement and high expectations for student learning as well as the students’ faith development.
- Cultivate ongoing communication and positive relationships with parents, students, and colleagues, including ongoing collaboration with the middle school team.
- Contribute to a positive Catholic school culture by participating in mission-focused professional learning to deepen one’s own discipleship and growth as a catechist - including professional development and collegial collaboration - to better educate and form the students.
- Minimum level of Education Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as education or religious studies
- Minimum amount of Work Experience
- Years of related work experience 2 or more years of teaching experience is preferred
- Area of related work experience Education/Teaching/Catechist Experience
- Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church
- Hold a current Basic and/or Master Catechist Certificate through the Diocese of Raleigh, or be eligible to work towards obtaining this certification.
- A North Carolina (or out-of-state) teaching license, preferred
St. Michael Catholic School is seeking a dynamic, knowledgeable, and engaging middle school Religion teacher. St. Michael provides a Christ-centered Catholic education, with a focus on academic excellence, and the development of the whole person, through our core values of reverence, service, and leadership.
Position Start Date: 08/9/2021