Hours Per Week: 40 (Full-time)
The Director of Religious Education (DRE) will be accountable to the Pastor and shall be responsible for the faith formation for children in grades K-10 and the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults including sacramental preparation, to be carried out according to the catechetical norms of the Diocese of Raleigh and the religious education program description of St. Bernadette Catholic Church. The DRE shall also provide oversight of the summer vacation bible school program. This position requires a 40-hour work week with some evening and weekend hours.
St. Bernadette’s religious education program requires that the DRE be a liaison and direct point of contact between families, volunteers, catechists, office staff, and the Pastor. The DRE will also coordinate with and supervise the Assistant Director of Religious Education. The ideal candidate will be bilingual, have exceedingly good verbal and written communication skills, be meticulously organized, be a strong leader, have a bachelor’s degree, be a certified master catechist, and be adept using computers and Microsoft Software.
- Knowledge of:
- Principles of catechesis for all age levels.
- Church documents, origins and development of the Church's teachings: scripture, theology, spirituality, liturgy.
- Catechetical resources and their application for all age levels.
- Diocesan and national expectations and trends in catechesis.
- Candidate must satisfactorily complete criminal background and reference checks.
- Candidate must complete Diocese-sponsored Safe Environment Training within 60 days of hire.
Experience & Education:
- At least five years’ experience with a parish faith formation program to include administrative experience as a successful catechetical leader, and supervisory or coordinating experience in parish ministry, and catechesis involving children and catechists.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Certified Master Catechist.
Examples of Duties:
- Plans and directs parish faith formation/religious education programs.
- Conducts on-site catechist formation according to diocesan policies.
- Initiates and maintains accurate records on students, families, & catechists.
- Maintain policies and record compliance with the Diocese of Raleigh’s SAFE Environment training program.
- Recruit catechists from within the parish according to Diocese of Raleigh policies.
- Prepare students and RCIA candidates for sacraments through curriculum, retreats, and training.
- Implement the of Rite of Christian Initiation process.
- Collaborate with the Pastor and Music Minister regarding sacramental celebrations, appropriate music selections and instruction in the classrooms.
- Developing and presenting family activities, in conjunction with the liturgical year.
- Collaborating with the Social Outreach office to provide for at-risk families.
- Work with the pastor, faith formation staff, and the bookkeeper in developing the faith formation budget for the year.
- Prepare the yearly parish education calendar in conjunction with the master parish calendar.
- Supervise and meticulously record the collection of tuition fees in conjunction with the Bookkeeper.