Saint Anthony of Padua Catholic Church
Southern Pines, NC
Hours Per Week: 20 (part-time)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Play organ/piano for:
- Three weekend masses;
- All holy days and feast days when required by pastor;
- All funerals, weddings and special celebrations;
- Provide a substitute if unavailable;
- Accompany all choir rehearsals:
- Adult choir 1.5 hours
- Childrens choir 1 hour
- Select postludes and preludes for celebrations;
- Maintain instrumental music library;
- Report to Director of Music Ministry for all music related parish activities;
- Communicate, Cooperate and Collaborate with Director of Music Ministry for music selection;
- Inform Director of Music regarding maintenance of organ and piano;
- Collaborate with Director of Music to maintain budgeted allowances;
- Attend weekly music planning sessions with Director of Music Ministry;
- Report to Pastoral Associate for office administration duties, employment, etc.;
- Comply with teachings of the Catholic Church regarding liturgical music norms; and
- Attend weekly staff meetings in parish office,
Skills, proficiencies, qualifications needed:
- Ability and Proficiency in playing the organ and piano;
- Capability to sight read hymns and intermediate to advanced music;
- Ability to read open score;
- Improvisational skills, with the ability to close out music at any point in the score;
- Accompaniment skills;
- Basic understanding of vocal coaching/training for cantors;
- Sense of pitch to recognize tuning needs, cantor abilities, etc.;
- Basic organ maintenance skills; and
- Organizational skills needed:
- Office work;
- Microsoft Office Suite;
- Time management;
- Collaborative skills; and
- Openness to constructive criticism.
- Required Education: Preference of either a bachelor’s degree in music or the arts; case by case evaluation will be made regarding requisite education.
- Three to Four years as an organ accompanist or Church musician.
- Preferred experience in a Catholic liturgical setting.
- Candidate must satisfactorily complete required criminal background and reference checks.
- Candidate must complete Diocese-sponsored Safe Environment Training within 60 days of hire.
- 20 hours/week minimum paid by the hour;
- Availability for 4 masses/weekend;
- 3 weekends may be missed per year;
- Additional stipends for weddings and funerals;
- Short notice availability for funerals;
- Expect to work most major Christian holidays;
- 1 year probationary period;
- Follow norms and guidelines present in diocesan staff handbook;
- Attend weekly staff meetings;
- Attend Staff functions;
- 2nd floor office.