Hours per week: 40 (full-time)
Key responsibilities / day-to-day job functions:
The Catholic Diocese of Richmond seeks an Assistant Digital Editor for its Office of Communications. The Assistant Digital Editor is part of the multimedia communications team, to include the diocesan newspaper, The Catholic Virginian, and will be responsible for supporting the editor, maintaining editorial content of the diocese’s publications across digital and print media, and assisting in the growth of the newspaper’s daily digital presence. The Assistant Digital Editor is involved in advancing the engagement of the Catholic audience and readership across the diocese.
- Employment is contingent upon applicant satisfactorily passing criminal background and reference checks.
- Must complete diocese-sponsored Safe Environment Training within 60 days of hire.
- A bachelor’s degree in English/Journalism/Mass Communications or related field required, and three or more years related experience in the print or communications industry, with diocesan and/or general Catholic press experience preferred. Strong understanding of digital journalism, best practices, and the ability to keep abreast of emerging trends.
- The successful candidate will be a strong communicator — interpersonally and in writing — and a collaborator. Orientation to detail, ability to manage time, plan, organize and manage projects are a must, as is commitment to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office and AP Stylebook is required, and proficiency in Adobe software (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Professional) and Catholic News Service Stylebook is desired. A practicing Catholic with working knowledge of Church structure and Catholic Church teaching is required. The position requires some evening and weekend hours, with possible travel throughout the diocese.