The Director of Finance and Administration will take ownership over the business aspects of the parish operations. Reporting directly to the Pastor, the position oversees all finance and accounting activities and staff, as well as those for HR, IT, and other administrative employees and functions. The list below reflects the primary responsibilities for the role, but other tasks may also be assigned as needed:
- Oversee or prepare all financial reporting distributed to the parish and Diocese.
- Ensure financial records are in accordance with GAAP and the USCCB Diocesan Internal Controls framework, and that best practices are implemented and followed.
- Review all monthly transactions, journal entries, check processing, and bank reconciliations.
- Oversee administrative and finance staff, especially the Bookkeeper, focusing on work product, staff development, process documentation, and improved efficiency for procedures.
- Create, adapt, and maintain policies and procedures related to Finance, HR, and IT, and assisting other ministries with their policies as they pertain to financial matters.
- Prepare the annual budgets for Holy Name of Jesus Cathedral Parish and the Cathedral School.
- Serve as the Parish Liaison to the Pastoral Council, Finance Council, Building Committee, and any other advisory committees as may be required to assist the Pastor.
- Manage the safe handling of cash receipts, secure deposits, and other monies received.
- Coordinate the Diocesan internal audit, providing all requested documentation, responding to findings, and implementing appropriate controls and procedures as recommended.
- Project long-term budgets for construction projects, including debt and campaign financing, and oversee the development accounting for all real estate projects.
- Submit bi-weekly payroll to the Diocese, post the corresponding journal entries for the parish and the school, and transfer funds from the school to the parish for payroll/benefit expenses.
- Coordinate all employment paperwork with the Diocese for new hires, change in positions, annual benefits, change in payroll, and other HR items.
- Oversee the Parish Capital Campaigns, Bishop’s Annual Appeal, Annual Stewardship Reports, and other projects vital to the health and stability of the parish.
- Collaborate with the Director of Facilities on capital expenditures, certain maintenance items, and other initiatives to ensure adequate resources are available for necessary projects.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
- Five years of accounting experience, with at least two years of management experience
- Proficiency with MS Office, accounting software, and other software solutions
- Understand and support the mission and purpose of the parish and school
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with ACS, the Cathedral’s database and accounting system
- Past experience in a parish, school, or other not-for-profit environment
- Current license as a Certified Public Accountant