Hours Per Week: 40 (Full-time)
Key responsibilities / day-to-day job functions:
Communications (40% of time)
- Manage CCM’s social media channels
- Curate content for Instagram, Facebook, and other social media channels.
- Create and maintain a content calendar to ensure quantity, quality, and timeliness of posts.
- Build follower base and seek ways for engagement.
- Coordinate CCM newsletters
- Write, edit, and/or collect a variety of articles for publication.
- Assist in the design and mailing of print and email newsletters.
- Develop effective segmentations of constituents.
- Ensure photos are taken regularly of CCM events and student engagement and catalogued in digital albums.
- Design materials for promotions, solicitations, and other communications.
- Ensure all printed materials are ready for Sunday Masses. This includes bulletins, lector sheets, announcements, and prayers of the faithful.
- Work with the Director to develop new and strategic initiatives of promoting the ministry and sharing student stories.
Student Supervision and Development (30%)
- Oversee the CCM Student Internship programs (Engagement Interns and Music Interns):
- Participate in the annual application, interview, and hiring processes of students seeking to become student interns.
- Provide adequate training to interns through training sessions and retreats.
- Supervise and support interns as they fulfill their individual responsibilities:
- Engagement Interns:
- Reach out to first-year students individually and set up meetings over coffee, lunch, etc, with a goal of meetings with 5 new students a week.
- Build community between first-year students and the rest of CCM.
- Keep accurate data of their engagement efforts.
- Submit weekly reports.
- Music Interns:
- Select music for weekly Sunday Masses.
- Schedule musicians, cantors, and singers for each Mass.
- Reach out and engage students to join the music ministry.
- Commit to ongoing learning of liturgical music.
- Engagement Interns:
- Hold bi-weekly business meetings with each team of interns.
- Meet every other week with individual interns for one-on-one discipleship.
- Support CCM Servant Leaders (student leadership team).
- Provide leadership, guidance, accountability, and encouragement.
- Work with CCM Staff to plan and implement leadership formation for Servant Leaders.
Evangelization & Liturgy (20%)
- Develop a ministry of presence with students by encouraging attendance and being visible/welcoming at CCM events and activities, including but not limited to: all Sunday and weekday Masses, weekend retreats (three each year), weeklong alternative break trips (fall and spring), social activities, service events, etc.
- Build and foster relationships with students who are ready to go deeper into their Catholic faith.
- Journey with them through one-on-one discipleship.
- Invite them to regular participation in the sacraments and weekly small groups.
- Care for them regularly and in moments of overwhelming or crisis situations.
- Work as a team with CCM staff to coordinate Sunday Masses, weekday Masses, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, etc. You will take the lead on one of the Sunday Masses each week. This includes:
- Setup and cleanup/takedown of altar table, chairs, etc.
- Ensuring liturgical ministers have checked in or finding replacements.
- Preparing and assisting with gifts and offertory.
- Ensuring that Mass runs smoothly.
- Attend weekly CCM staff meetings.
- Attend monthly meetings with the Truitt Center for Religious & Spiritual Life and with Elon’s Division of Student Life.
- Support other members of the staff with projects such as mailings, advancement (fundraising), and strategic planning.
- Represent CCM to Elon University and its various departments and circles, the CCM Advisory Board, the Diocese of Raleigh, and the general public.
- Other duties as requested.
- Develop personal skills as a Catholic leader.
- Pursue and maintain an active, growing relationship with God through daily prayer.
- Regularly celebrate the sacraments.
- Read Scripture and other Catholic works to further knowledge of the faith.
- Attend or participate in one continuing education program each year.
- Meet with CCM Staff once a week for a spiritual and faith formation hour.
- Be open and willing to engage in multi-faith efforts.
- Employment is contingent upon applicant satisfactorily passing criminal background and reference checks.
- Must complete diocese-sponsored Safe Environment Training within 60 days of hire.
- Minimum level of Education: Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in communications field or theological studies. Master's Degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum amount of Work Experience:
- Years of related work experience: 2 years.
- Area of related work experience: communications, campus ministry.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in communications field or theological studies. Master's Degree strongly preferred.
- Good teamwork skills with an aptitude for continuous learning.
- Thoroughness in planning and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to be flexible and work independently on a variety of projects.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and Google Workspace.
- Experience with graphic design recommended.
- The Assistant Director for Communications and Engagement has flexible hours with substantial evening and weekend work as a 40+ hour per week position. Sundays are mandatory.
- Diocesan vacation policies apply with special consideration around the Elon academic calendar.
- Students are at the heart of our ministry. The ability to communicate with students is important, sometimes even during off hours.
- Our ministry is collaborative by nature, much time is spent working together with our students, and as a staff.
- The Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual life is the multi-faith center of Elon University. We collaborate with both Christian and other religious organizations to bring our students together.
- Elon University is a private, secular, liberal arts college with high-achieving students, and a large Greek life presence.
- Full-time, 10-month position.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Monthly stipends given for cell phone reimbursement and approved student meetings.
- Benefits as provided by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh, including medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance and a 403(b) plan.
Supervises: Teams of student interns
Position Start Date: 04/17/2023 or 08/01/2023