Hours per week: 40
Key responsibilities / day-to-day job functions
The Development Assistant reports directly to the Director of Development (DoD) of the Duke Catholic Center and is responsible for the administrative aspects of the Duke Catholic Center Development operation. The development program is charged with raising funds for programs, facilities, and endowment of the Center. The Development Assistant works closely with the DoD. Primary responsibilities and relationships with others are outlined below.
- Assists the Director and DoD as requested. Attends regular staff meetings to plan goals and strategies.
- Coordinates the administrative aspects of the development operations while providing administrative assistance to the DoD.
- Oversees all aspects of the mailing of all promotional and informational materials (invitations, annual report, newsletters, brochures, postcards) and annual fund appeal letters through outside vendors. Creates content and coordinates design with staff or graphic designer when necessary.
- Coordinates thank-a-thon with student coordinators.
- Requests lists, data, information from liaison at Duke Development
- Responds to Duke Development inquiries and request for information when appropriate.
- Maintains DoD calendar when appropriate, including internal/external meetings, alerting DoD to important dates. Prepares and/or provides necessary documents for DoD use in meetings. Attends meetings as requested to take minutes.
- Serves as the database manager of the Center’s donor database
- Updates constituent records on a timely basis (address changes, births, additions, deaths, notepad information, codings, segments, ask amounts, etc.)
- Conducts routine database review and corrections to improve database accuracy
- Imports new student and parent data as needed
- Creates reports as directed (financial, analytical and demographic)
- Arranges for data sorts or queries as directed
- Designs and print nametags, placards, etc.
- Production of sorts, lists, profiles and labels when needed
- Travel and Events
- Coordinates DoD trip preparation, travel arrangements, including providing suggestions on prospect visits, establishing itinerary, making flight and hotel arrangements and preparing travel binder. Anticipate and identify appropriate supporting documentation and briefing materials for DoD such as research materials and historical gift, biographic and prospect information.
- Provides staff support at various campus events (occasionally on nights and weekends)
- Contacts Duke Alumni, parents and friends to request and schedule appointments when appropriate. Respond to inquiries from donors, especially in DoD absence.
- Minimum level of Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Capacity to pay attention to small details while working with large amounts of data.
- Enthusiasm and excellent people skills are essential. The successful candidate must have the flexibility to handle the needs of a fast-paced office and the special needs of donors.
- Requires an individual with project management and computer literacy skills.
- Must be able to communicate professionally and confidently with a wide variety of constituents including university administrators, major donors, and colleagues.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information and issues on a daily basis.
- Ability to work effectively with other staff members, campus representatives, and volunteers.
- Practicing Roman Catholic and affinity with the overall mission of the Catholic campus ministry.
Position Start Date: As soon as possible