Hours per week: 40
Key responsibilities / day-to-day job functions
The ideal candidate for the Coordinator of Youth Ministry must:
- Understand, assimilate and work according to the vision, mission and values of the Office of Evangelization and Discipleship.
- Be able to carry out their ministry not solely as an individual but as part of an integrated evangelization team.
- Understand their role as empowering local and parish leaders to carry out their own ministry of evangelization and discipleship.
- Be a committed disciple with a passion for assisting others in growing in their relationship with Christ.
- Be personally convinced of their dependency on a life of grace in their lives and mission.
The chief tasks of this role will be to:
- Identify and gather youth ministry and youth leaders according to their unique regional, ministerial, cultural and linguistic areas to collaborate, share best practices, and identify formation needs.
- Promote and provide training, consultation and resources to youth leaders and programs and share local and national best practices with them.
- Connect parishes and youth ministries with local and national ministry events and initiatives.
- Encourage, form and empower leaders in their efforts at creating effective and sustainable ministry events in their local area.
- Empower young people in the diocese by providing models that train youth to be peer leaders within their own parish, high school and community.
- Network, consult and resource various local, regional and national advisory boards and organizations - where applicable.
- Research youth ministry/evangelization programs, models and opportunities with the goal of suggesting them and properly applying them to local ministries according to their needs.
- Manage budgets related to ministry projects.
- Display genuine interest and care for the parish by honoring the cultural context and personality distinctions of pastor, staff and parishioners.
- Meet with pastors and parish staff assisting with youth ministry activities in order to conduct collaborative evaluation, assessment, and recommendation sessions.
- May be given various other assignments and projects consistent with the responsibility level and general duties of a Diocesan Youth Ministry Assistant Director.
- An "authentic witness" to the faith who represents the teaching of the Catholic Church with enthusiasm, integrity, and compassion.
- Practicing Catholic in good standing fully committed to, and with advanced knowledge of, the mission and tenets of the Catholic Church and active engagement in a Catholic parish, with letter from Pastor conveying this.
- Bachelor's Degree in Theology/Pastoral Ministry/Religious Education or related field or equivalent expertise.
- Five years of ministry experience related to youth ministry, particularly in a parish setting
- Depth of understanding of evangelization and the thresholds of conversion
- Ability to attract and effectively supervise volunteers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office Suite
- Some travel, evening, and weekend work required. Must be able to secure transportation to work and to off-site meetings. Valid driver license and reliable transportation preferred.
- Master's Degree in Theology / Pastoral Ministry / Religious Education or related field
- Eight years of ministry experience related to faith formation
Position Start Date: As soon as possible