Hours Per Week: 35 (Full-time)
Are you a writer who loves to tell a good story? Is working with words your passion? Then become part of our team! The Catholic Diocese of Richmond’s Office of Communications is seeking a talented, experienced, motivated assistant editor to join our small, creative and award-winning, multimedia team. We are looking for someone with drive and focus to cover Catholic news and write inspirational faith stories found within the multiple communities we serve. Additionally, we want someone who can balance the importance of print and digital platforms for our diocesan newspaper, The Catholic Virginian (CV).
Key responsibilities / day-to-day job functions:
- You will work closely and collaboratively with the editor of the newspaper to plan local, national and international content, write, edit and place copy, follow up on story leads and assist in working with correspondents in developing news, profiles and feature articles. The assistant editor will occasionally travel to develop stories, assist the editor with special projects and to represent The Catholic Virginian at various events.
- We want this person to take our publication’s daily digital presence to the next level! The candidate will assist in strengthening the CV website and develop ways to engage the Catholic community through timely news and information. The individual will collaborate with the editor and creative director to produce a visually appealing print and digital product through written and visual storytelling.
- Employment is contingent upon applicant satisfactorily passing criminal background and reference checks.
- Must complete diocese-sponsored Safe Environment Training within 60 days of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in English/Journalism/Mass Communications or related field required and a minimum of three years’ experience in print and/or digital communications, with Catholic communications preferred. Strong understanding of journalism, best practices, prioritizing coverage and the ability to keep abreast of emerging trends required.
- The successful candidate will be a strong, professional communicator – interpersonally and in writing – and a collaborator. Flexible, self-motivated, strong attention to detail, great news judgment with the ability to identify stories that will grab a reader’s attention. Excellent time management skills are a must in order to juggle multiple special projects. Must understand the geographical landscape and diverse communities within our diocese. Ability to maintain confidentiality is expected. Expertise in using mobile devices as a reporting tool a bonus. Photo skills a plus. Some evening and weekend hours with travel throughout our diocese is expected.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office and AP Stylebook is required and a strong understanding of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Professional) is needed. A practicing Catholic passionate about serving the mission of the Catholic Church with a good working knowledge of Catholic Church structure and teaching is required.
Position Start Date: ASAP