This position is a contract-based position. It is paid on a per-audit basis.
Hours per week: Varies, based on needs of each individual audit
Key responsibilities / day-to-day job functions
- Assist the audit manager, on a project basis, with reviewing the internal controls environment of each parish and school.
- Plan and conduct financial, operational, and compliance parish/school audit fieldwork including introductory and exit conferences with pastors/pastoral administrators.
- Test revenue and expense cycles and perform interviews of clergy, staff and volunteers.
- Assist the audit manager with planning and conducting financial, operation, and compliance diocesan audit fieldwork.
- Report on any relevant findings and best practices identified during audits.
- Prepare audit work papers and draft audit reports for presentation to and discussion of findings with audit manager.
- Assist audit manager with developing recommendations regarding adding or enhancing internal controls.
- Assist audit manager with continuously updating the audit program to include new areas of risk.
- Minimum level of Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Minimum amount of Work Experience: 7-9 years
- Years of related work experience: At least 3
- Area of related work experience: Auditing
- Professional demeanor reflective of the values and mission of the Diocese of Raleigh.
- Highly organized with an attention to detail and ability to apply audit concepts and techniques and critical thinking.
- Ability and flexibility to manage multiple priorities and off-site audits.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to maintain objectivity, confidentiality and impartiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships across all levels within the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, in particular MS Excel and Word.
- Proficiency with audit management software, such as TeamMate, OnSpring, AutoAudit, Workiva, etc.
- Ability to travel throughout the Diocese to conduct audits (approximately 30-40%), using own vehicle. Travel reimbursed.
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Public Accountant or Certified Fraud Examiner designation is a plus.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills are a plus.
Position Start Date: as soon as possible