May 13, 2015 was a banner day for the Diocese of Raleigh seminarians. Along with graduations at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia, 4 of the seminarians received awards and academic accolades.
Bishop Michael Burbidge was present, along with Archbishop Charles Chaput, Bishop Timothy Senior (Rector of the Seminary), Fr. Ned Shlesinger (Diocese of Raleigh priest and Spiritual Director for the Theology Division of the Seminary), Fr. Bill John Acosta-Escobar (Director of Vocations), seminary faculty, and families of the College seminarians.
The college graduation class included:
- Austin Faur, Summa Cum Laude
- Juan Carlos Garcia
- Noe Ramirez, Magna Cum Laude, and received the Monsignor George E. O’Donnell Award for Excellence in the Study of English Literature
- Evan Waniewski
The theologian graduation class included:
- Deacon Philip Johnson, Master in Divinity, Summa Cum Laude and received the St. Charles Borromeo Seminary Award for Extraordinary Service
- Deacon John Kane, Magna Cum Laude
The Master of Arts graduation class included:
- Deacon Robert Schmid, Summa Cum Laude and received the Monsignor James P. McCoy Award for Excellence in the Study of Church History for the past Seven Semesters (given by the American Catholic Historical Society), and received his Certificate of Proficiency in Pastoral Spanish.
- Deacon Ian VanHeusen, Magna Cum Laude and received the Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary Award for Excellence in the study of Moral Theology over the past Seven Semesters, and received his Certificate of Proficiency in Pastoral Spanish.