Holy Infant Catholic Church is seeking a full-time Director of Liturgy and Music. The parish is located in the Southpoint region of Durham, NC, one of the fastest growing areas within the Diocese of Raleigh. As a vision-driven parish, Holy Infant is planning the construction of a new church to meet the demands of this growth. We look forward to discussing this opportunity with candidates interested in a welcoming, active, and inclusive community that seeks to celebrate the presence of God in our midst and in our liturgy.
The position offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits.
The Director of Liturgy and Music has a thorough understanding of Roman Catholic liturgy and is a leader who possesses the knowledge and skills required to enhance worship through the varied expressions of liturgical music. With a vision of how a parish can achieve and maintain its full potential, the Director, in dialogue with the Pastor, will focus on defining, developing and implementing a comprehensive liturgy and music program.
- Lead, inspire and support the activities of the parish’s Liturgical Commission, working closely with its Chair and Ministry Coordinators. These activities include the recruitment, education, on-going training, and spiritual formation for liturgical ministers. Liturgical Commission ministries consist of Art and Environment, Altar Servers, Altar Bread Bakers, Altar Linen Caretakers, Audio/Video Team, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Greeters, Hosts, Lectors, Liturgy Planning Committee, Liturgical Ministry Scheduling, Mass Coordinators, Music Ministers and Sacristans.
- Coordinate and plan, with the Liturgy Planning Committee, the Sunday Masses, Holy Days of Obligation, Holy Week, Easter Vigil, Liturgies of the Word, and Communion Services
Coordinate and plan rites and liturgical services in conjunction with:
- RCIA Team
- Faith Formation Teams for First Eucharist and Confirmation
- Other special liturgical events (e.g. Reconciliation, Anointing of the Sick, etc.)
- Coordinate and plan for Funeral Rites (Vigil, Mass, Committal)
- Coordinate and plan for Rites of Marriage
- Creatively select music (traditional and more contemporary) for parish liturgies - growing attendance at worship through the quality of music selected and learned
- Assume the role of leading musician, accompanist or choral director, for all liturgies including funerals and marriages. (Secure qualified substitute(s) as necessary and appropriate)
- Direct weekly rehearsals for cantors, choirs and musicians
- Select/provide/prepare worship aids, including hymnals/song books, for liturgies
- Prepare liturgical scripts
- Implement diocesan policies related to liturgy and music
- Schedule and host outside performing groups for concerts, workshops, etc.
- Maintain the music library and secure necessary copyrights/licenses
- Select and maintain liturgical resources and supplies
- Select and maintain musical instruments and assure that audio and video systems function appropriately
- Assure that sacristies and related sacred vessels, vestments, materials, equipment and liturgical supplies are resourced and maintained in good order
- Develop and monitor the parish’s liturgy and music budgets
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with the ability to clearly formulate long/short term plans and direct and inspire others
- Strong interpersonal communications skills with the ability to observe, question, listen, give and accept feedback, and deal with changes
- Knowledgeable in the liturgical practices of the Church (i.e. an understanding of the GIRM and other relevant documents, sacramental rites etc.) and the ability to integrate with music
- Proficiency as a keyboard player – piano and organ
- Knowledge of various accompanying instrument’s techniques and use; group vocal techniques for adults and children; choral conducting
- Understanding of acoustics and audio systems, especially as they pertain to the space in which the parish worships
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently
- Practicing Catholic in full communion with the Church
- Bachelors/Master’s Degree in music
- 3-5 Years’ experience as Director or Assistant Director of Liturgy/Music
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education
Blaine C. Short
Holy Infant Catholic Church
5000 Southpark Drive
Durham NC 27713